Real Estate Development Project Accountant
Highly skilled accountant with excellent communication skills to manage real estate development project accounting for multiple buildings and contracts. This position is primarily responsible for all development accounting including project cost tracking and reporting, processing of project A/P and construction draw processing. The position may also prepare various financial & tax projections to be used by management. This position will report directly to Development Accounting Manager.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monthly draw and job costing
- Receive, upload, and code all invoices
- Assist Development and Construction Managers with review of contractor, vendor and consultant invoices, ensuring compliance to contract terms.
- Track commitments (contracts, purchase orders, etc.)
- Prepare monthly draw package and necessary funding requests
- Record all funding once received ensuring loan balances and investment/equity accounts are correct
- Ensure timely payment of all invoices and requisitions
- Reconcile GL against all sub-ledgers including job cost and payables
- Distribute final reports to management and obtain monthly sign off
- Support Development and Construction Management staff with the purchasing, invoicing and change order management for soft and hard costs procurement.
- Coordinate with Construction Managers, Senior Executive Personnel on project by project basis to maintain accurate accounting and analyze variances and discrepancies
- Support Development and Construction Managers in monthly financial reporting and forecasting
- Assist Accounting department with invoice, change order, and budget tracking and processing.
- Monthly/Quarterly reporting
- Allocate horizontal costs across all jobs
- Upload GL transactions to MRI system and tie out all entities’ reports between Timberline and MRI
- Reconcile and tie out all intercompanies and investment/equity accounts across parents, subsidiaries, and up to the JV
- Maintain consolidated workbook schedules
- Consolidate parents with subsidiaries while preparing eliminating entries
- Prepare REIT and C-Corp consolidated financials
- Upload balances to investor’s portal, Voyanta
- Budget and Cashflow preparation and presentation
- Attend budget meetings and research historical costs as necessary to support Development/Construction Managers
- Collect data from Development/Construction Managers to prepare development budgets and document support for budget line items
- Provide budget numbers for JV level expenses
- Track cashflow and report against budget/projections
- Ensure project budgets are in line and communicating with the staff to resolve issues
- REIT/Tax compliance and Annual audit
- Review monthly reports/transactions for potential issues in maintaining REIT compliance
- Prepare quarterly and annual REIT tests
- Coordinate REIT property questionnaires
- Prepare YE checklists
- Calculate dividend distributions and distribute to ultimate Parent JV
- Prepare shareholder demand letters
- Prepare all year end tax and audit PBC’s
- Quarterly tax calculations and payments, if applicable
- Address all audit inquiries and provide test selection items/back up
- Document all processes for audit walkthroughs
- Prepare all audit confirmations (AP, debt and legal)
- Additional responsibilities
- Assist with all filings to ensure they are prepared and submitted timely (1099’s, GMEI, CT corp, DE annual, BRA-25, etc.)
- Assist with lender reporting and compliance
- Assist with LDA reporting requirements including CBE and First Source)
- Monitor and report on numerous projects (budgets vs actuals) including monthly project results, compliance reporting, and accounting document control
- Assist with the development of internal financial controls to meet reporting and submission deadlines
- Document Management – Assist with maintaining records of owners; including: all legal documents, contracts, invoices, real estate tax info, and support for entries
- Resolve vendor inquiries
- Safekeeping of funds; including: adherence to treasury controls, positive pay, weekly cash reporting, bank reconciliations, and working capital reconciliations
- Experience with MS Excel, Timberline/Sage 300 and other technology and software.
- Construction cost accounting experience preferred.
- BS in Accounting, Finance or similar degree.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a construction/real estate development accounting position.
Must be skilled in all aspects of multifamily residential construction, detail oriented, able to work without direct supervision. Must have your own tools and transportation to locations in DC/Bethesda. Compile and execute punch lists for new construction luxury condominiums, obtain materials, coordinate subcontractors, follow up independently to ensure quality and timeliness of work completed, work under deadline, communicate progress reports to management. Full time, salary commensurate with experience.
We're always looking for talented professionals
We’re always looking for talented, motivated professionals to add to our team. Please feel free to send us your resumé and we’ll keep it on file for future consideration.